Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dose of Ravenhill

I heard a preacher asking another if folks came to the altar at his last meeting. He replied, "Yes, but most of them are altar tramps." It's easier to go to the altar than to get on the cross. There is no magic in a trip to the altar. You will not grow an inch by walking a few yards to the altar, unless there is a total repentance and a holy vow to God that you will not fall into the same hole again.

That holy band of "Heroes of Faith" in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews staggers me. They had no Bibles, no millions of cassettes as we have, no Bible seminars, no daily radio Bible teaching, and (fortunate souls) no Gospel T.V. preachers whining about lack of funds. (When did the Lord run out of supplies?) Yet what things these folks in Hebrews 11 accomplished: subdued whole kingdoms -- (O that some person rich in faith could subdue the worldwide kingdom of the drug trade)-- wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions. What miracles, what men, what faith!

Leonard Ravenhill

2 comments:

Steve Martin said...

We love going to the altar.

But not to leave our promises and vows and faithfulness.

Rather, to receive His...in His supper.

Craig said...

I like altar calls. However, I also liked what my previous pastor would say: "I would rather you accept Jesus as savior where you are sitting than not make a decision because you feel pressured to come forward." He knew that if they were a truly accepted Christ they would publicly come forward eventually.

Some preachers play on emotions. Some people go up every altar call, some might out of feeling pressured and it is not genuine.

Like I said before, I like the invitation, I don't question anyone who does participates in an altar call.