Thursday, April 22, 2010

What was wrong with him?

"One thing you lack" Mark 10:21

Those words addressed by our Lord to the rich young ruler who had approached Him with such apparent eagerness and earnestness, and in whom there were some admirable qualities which are rarely found in young men, especially those of affluence.

Yet there was a fatal defect, for the sequel informs us that he turned from Christ, and "went away sad" (Mark 10:22). What was wrong with him? "'One thing you lack--Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.' At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth." (Mark 10:21-22).

There was a struggle between his convictions and his corruptions; he desired to serve two masters--God and mammon; and when Christ told him that was impossible, he was chagrined.

His fatal deficiency may be described in a variety of ways. He had no conviction that he was a ruined, lost and Hell-deserving sinner, no consciousness that he was a spiritual leper in the sight of God, no realization of his utter helplessness to better his condition. Though religious, he was still in nature's darkness, and therefore, his affections were not raised above the vanities of this world. There was no love for God within him; and consequently, he was unwilling to deny himself, abandon his idols, and give God His rightful place in his life--serving, pleasing, and enjoying Him. He lacked a real and unreserved surrender of his heart to God.

Is that the case with you, dear reader?

A.W. Pink

5 comments:

Steve Martin said...

Sometimes that is the case with me.

I often take care of my own wants and needs ahead of my neighbor.

I often worry about the future, and therefore am unwilling to let go of what I have to share with those more in need than myself.

Thanks be to God, that the Holy Spirit leads me to repentance each day (hopefully) and that I am forgiven by a God who knows my heart and the not too pretty condition that it is in.

Ike said...

Hi Steve.....after reading your comment I want to remind you of something. I personally will "never" forget your offer to bring my wife out to California!! She is unable to travel due to her cancer....but I will always remember the offer!! I think your comment shows "humility" with just a tag of truth:-)

Ike said...

Steve....that last sentence didn't come out the way I wanted. I didn't mean to call you a liar "brother":-) just poor grammer!

Steve Martin said...

Ike,

All men are liars (the Lord tells us that Himself!)

Ike, I hope and pray that your wife will get better.

You have a standing invitation, my friend.

Jon said...

Did you see the post at streetfishing?

John Macarthur on Jesus failing Evangelism 101, based upon same scripture you posted here.